Styles

Most Common Home Style Ideas Described

Whether you are in an old house or new, it is appealing to enhance the look. The truth is most homeowners do not know the right way to describe the design or décor that they want to achieve. This usually results in some rooms being decorated and enhanced in a less than stylish manner. So to give you a helping hand here is a list of the interior design styles common in today’s homes.

Mid-Century Modern

It took over from the 1930’s to the 1960’s with purified lines, gentle curves, small and portrait outlines. A mixture of materials was embraced including moulded plastic, plywood and aluminium.

Industrial

Industrial Think industrial spaces and factories utilising unexpected materials such as metal (steel) and wood added to brick walls.  The style originated at the beginning of manufacturing time.

Nautical/ Coastal /Hamptons

Coastal Interior Design This style originated from the U.S. beachside, well-known for being welcoming and relaxing.  Think of sun-bleached white, ocean blues and greens, weathered wood and natural fabrics all bathed in natural light.

Scandinavian

Scandinavian In Scandinavian interior design, the focus is on minimalist furniture, flawless craftsmanship, simple lines and a sculptural influence. Materials are mostly pressed wood, bright plastics, enamelled aluminium, steel and wide plank flooring.

Bohemian decor

Bohemian The way of life of the avant-garde (the carefree and adventurous spirit) is evident. Rich patterns and vibrant colours are applied, especially those with red or purple tones. Bohemian encompasses a purposeful messy look.

Farmhouse

Farmhouse Farmhouse design oozes warmth, comfort and inviting spaces packed with charm.  The furniture here is made from conditioned wood and cushioned soft furnishings. The primary key colours are white and beige.

Urban Modern

Urban Interior Design When applying the Urban look, think ‘Industrial’ but with a softer and more comfortable finish.  Urban design is often that adopted in modern loft-style apartments.

Shabby Chic

Shabby Chic Shabby Chic screams romance and femininity, the main highlights are given to antique appearance furniture with a distressed look.  The ornamental tones should be faint and expensive giving an overblown sense.  Add flowers, candles and ornate mirrors.

French Country

French Country French Country style uses delicate soft furnishings in stripes, plaids and checks.  It has a gentle rustic feel to it which oozes sophistication and feminine chic.

Rustic

Rustic Interior Design Rustic style embraces materials in their natural state such as stone and wood.  It is enhanced by using earthy colours and warm cosy fabrics.

Bottom Line

Experts advise that to make a home beautiful, you need to incorporate more than one of the simple designs described above. In doing so you will come up with an interesting and more beautiful look.

Most Common Home Style Ideas Described

Previous Post Next Post

14 Comments

• Reply Jon

i LOVE the coastal look! I grew up living by the sea so love everything it represents!

January 31, 2019 at 9:58 am
    • Reply Sabina Green

Ha same here and it’s a look I love too, brings back happy memories.

January 31, 2019 at 1:41 pm
  • Reply Talya

We are a little bit of mid century, Scandi and farmhouse all meshed together!

January 31, 2019 at 2:17 pm
    • Reply Sabina Green

I actually love to see a mash-up of styles, I think it shows more of your own personality that way.

January 31, 2019 at 2:35 pm
  • Reply Bec Jones

We have mid cenrtury style because I was gifted furniture which suits our home – I like the clean style of scandi style – we have have quite a bit of oak furniture too… I’m about to paint the main bedroom a v pale grey. Thanks for the info on styles.

January 31, 2019 at 5:00 pm
    • Reply Sabina Green

Oooh we have just had our bedroom fitted with pale grey gloss wardrobes and we absolutely love it, I find it very relaxing, I hope you do too.

January 31, 2019 at 10:19 pm
  • Reply Sonia Cave

These are all lovely but I couldn’t say one was my favourite. I like aspects of coastal, farmhouse, Scandinavia, and shabby chic!! It seems to work ok though in our swedish home

January 31, 2019 at 6:54 pm
    • Reply Sabina Green

I think it’s nice to have a combination of styles which show your individuality 🙂

January 31, 2019 at 10:20 pm
  • Reply Stephanie

I love that a lot of these styles are old ones that we’ve bought back, but it’s fantastic that we don’t all have the same style anymore! We can mix everything together and it still looks fab

January 31, 2019 at 8:54 pm
    • Reply Sabina Green

Yes, I love a mixture of styles. Our house isn’t one precise style throughout.

January 31, 2019 at 10:22 pm
  • Reply Cath - Passports and Adventures

Urban modern, nautical or farmhouse would be the style I’d go for. We don’t have a “style” in our current home but the next one is where I plan to make our mark.

February 1, 2019 at 9:19 am
    • Reply Sabina Green

I don’t think I could place a distinct name on our style either. Parts of ours are modern, some quite classical and some a little retro. I like a mixture 🙂

February 2, 2019 at 9:55 pm
  • Reply Sonia

I think I love urban modern most of all, I’m all for the clean and minimal look x

February 2, 2019 at 1:45 pm
    • Reply Sabina Green

Yes I like this look too although I don’t feel like it would fit in our current home x

February 2, 2019 at 10:00 pm

We love hearing what you think, don't be too shy to comment.

%d bloggers like this: